Orphans' wish list
We get by with a little help from our friends.
If you are not ready to adopt a friend but would like to support our work with stray and abandoned animals, then consider donating an item or a service from our wish list.
Items we use every day
- Newspaper (We go through 100 a day!)
- Blankets and comforters (During the winter months every dog goes to bed with a blankie –not too large or heavy as we wash and dry every blanket daily)
- Towels (Next time you buy new towels or bedspread, don’t throw out the old ones -- bring them to us. Your old comforter can truly be a comfort to a shelter animal.)
- Dog bones, chew bones, treats, balls
- Cat trees, toys, beds, treats
- Sturdy dog and cat combs and brushes
- Human baby food (Meat based only, for sick cats)
- Cat litter
- Baking soda (To control cat litter odor)
These are a perfect way to help the shelter stretch its operating dollars.
We use Amazon.com for a lot of our animal enrichment products, this way we can order large quantities of toys and treat to keep our cats and dogs happy and healthy.
Please consider donating Amazon gift cards so we can enrich more lives.
We also have a wishlist if you'd like to purchase and have the items sent directly.
Also, if you add us as your designated charity at smile.amazon.com, we get a donation every time you shop at smile.amazon.com
Veterinarian services (gift certificates please)
Animals arrive at the shelter in need of emergency treatment. In our care are dogs and cats on daily medications or that suffer from an infection or illness that needs ongoing treatment until recovered. We also have the expense of spaying/neutering and vaccinations.
- Ruth Helen Wolf Animal Clinic & Hospital - 1650 Hollister Drive, Libertyville 847-634-0022
- Animal Medical Center - 8343 Skokie Boulevard, Skokie 847-673-2616
Pet food suppliers
We buy food with nutritional content specific to the needs of the Orphans.
- Pedigree (dry), Mighty Dog (canned dog food), Beneful Prepared, and Cesars
- ProPlan (dry kitten food)
- Friskie's and Sheba (canned cat food) and Fancy Feast
- Orthopedic beds with pillows (for our older, sick dogs and cats)
We have a longstanding relationship with Grayslake Feed. They know and understand our needs.
- Grayslake Feed Sales — 847-223-4855
The products we use can also be purchased at other pet supply stores and brought to the shelter.
- Puffy Pup — 1352 S. Milwaukee Ave., Vernon Hills 224-280-5484
- Loving Care Pet Services — 383 Central Avenue, Northfield 847-446-8697
- King’s Kennels — 238 Saunders Road, Riverwoods 847-945-9592
We put hundreds of miles on our van transporting sick and injured animals back and forth to veterinarian appointments.
- Mobil (on the corner of Deerfield and Saunders Road)
- Paper towels, trash bags (industrial), dish soap (Dawn or Joy), Mr. Clean, bleach, toliet brushes (for scrubbing surfaces throughout the shelter), laundry soap and dryer sheets.
- We use large quantities of these cleaning and housekeeping items, so consider a gift certificate to any one of the following: Home Depot, Jewel, Walmart, Target, Sam’s Club, Costco.
Beyond our wildest dreams
- Washer and dryer. Any brand, but must be new. We can not accept used washers and dryers.
- Stereo sound system. it has been proven that music is therapeutic, even to animals.
Please see us for specifics on these items before buying.
Our Wish list may seem like a lot, but it takes a lot to run a top-notch shelter that provides only the best pets to be found.